What is self-care? Self-care is defined as “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.” Flight attendants define self-care as: “Put on your oxygen mask first, then help others.” Self-care is not a luxury; it as a necessary way to help others by helping yourself first. Self-care need not be expensive, such as spa treatments. Below are ten ways to practice self-care for free.
TEN WAYS TO PRACTICE SELF-CARE
1. Take a walk. Walking and other forms of exercise can be a great mood-booster.
2. Take a bath. Bath time isn’t just for kids. Throw in some epsom salt, make a bath time playlist, maybe light a candle or two.
3. Connect with others. Call or meet up with a good friend that always puts a smile on your face for a catch-up session.
4. Take a nap. Listening to your body and resting when needed is an important part of taking care of yourself.
5. Watch a video or show that makes you laugh. YouTube or Netflix can be a great option.
6. Listen to your favorite feel-good Podcast or one that will give you a happiness boost. Check out these https://www.happify.com/hd/8-podcasts-that-will-give-you-a-happiness-boost/
7. Put your phone on “Do Not Disturb.” If only for an hour, spending time without texts, emails and social media can be refreshing.
8. Write in a gratitude journal. Thinking about what you’re grateful for can bring happiness and relieve stress.
9. Put on your comfiest pair of clothes and meditate. Check out this article from https://www.headspace.com/blog/2017/10/28/made-meditation-easy/ on how to get started.
10. Do something creative. Make a DIY craft project.